I thought the best to respond to everyone in the poll is one journal so I would not repeat myself. This is to answer all the comments under the poll I have posted, as well to explain why the poll was posted. I am sorry I didnt get to this sooner I could not as I am incredibly busy.
Nevertheless it is to say that I am hugely disappointed with Australia's public school system. That is why I have decided to transfer my child for year 6 and high school after it to Catholic school next to us. I was thinking long and hard about it and here it is why:
- My daughter is grade 5 now, and she does not have basics down. She has trouble with spelling, and basic pre-algebra .
- yes class size is small 21 students per teacher in public school however I have never seen such lack of knowledge passed to students as well as lack of discipline, I am not only talking about my daughter but also her classmates. My daughter is continually complaining about the high noise level in class, and that it is not allowing her to focus. My daughter got hit during class, had her work destroyed by bullies continually, name it. She was even drawn upon with a marker.Not to forget she was paint bombed and tossed over foundation at school destroying her school uniform and backpack... school with security cameras saw of course nothing.
- the teachers do not even know what syllabus is. I have asked repeatedly for last few years for syllabus so I can see what my daughter is learning at school at home so we can review and expand on that knowledge and I was continually denied that by a number of her teachers.
- teachers do not spend enough time teaching. Students are left to study independently in groups of 5-6 hoping they would learn something. Everyone knows what happens what happens when you end up with group of kids left to study to themselves, there is very little studying that they do themselves. They are all called "independent learners" Yeah independent in learning jack shit.
- My daughter is repeatedly physically and emotionally bullied in school and receiving death threats. School is doing nothing to protect her short of giving the offender slap on the wrist while I have to deal with my daughter being visibly upset every day.
- I have mathematics degree. I spend every day teaching my 11 year old math because school did not teach her basics. I cannot teach much in 30 minutes a day while cooking dinner at same time, and she is dead tired, or upset by bullying at school. I look at different approaches at math and try to find one that suits her best, and I know that my method is correct, and then teacher goes ahead and tells my daughter that the way I am teaching her is wrong and that you cannot do math like that. I feel like ripping her to shreds because beauty of mathematics is not about having one way of solving problem it is about being able to analyze the problem and approach it from different ways. To put it in English there is more than one way to skin the cat. In the end I got sick of it and passed the collection of math books to her teacher, because I want my daughter to think with her head, as free thinker not to be a sheep. She is good at math but bad teaching methods of the teachers who are not teaching her foundations are killing her love for it.
- teachers have not explained the patterns in division to my daughter I have. She did not know how to recognize which numbers are divisible by 3 or 6 for example.
- my daughter was not introduced to any decent literature at school. I have 11 year old who loves reading, she even read Hobbit when she was 8 because I introduced her, she loves Guy de Maupassant, and I try to get her to read the books that are going to teach her something. I also got her to read "Sadako and thousand of paper cranes" as well as "Diary of Anna Frank" so she would know what happened during WW2. She loved Tom Sawyer. At school they are left to their own devices of what they will read, not introduced to single good book by their teacher. And classics good luck if they even mention them.
- I really do not agree with the lack of grades in school. I for gods sake want to know that she got 85% on exam, ie she absorbed that much material she is lacking in this and that. I really find it total utter bullshit the grading system where everyone gets C and if you are 6 month ahead everyone you get B and 12 months ahead you get A. My daughter who is in year 5 has trouble subtracting, does not know her multiplication table and has a B? She was supposed to have mastered multiplication, addition and subtraction in grade 3 not 5. How she is 6 months to a year ahead of her class is beyond me. When I see that I am very worried about her ability to learn anything down the track, because the basics the foundations are lacking. I have not been shown access to single grade or exam results.
- by contract with the school that both me and my daughter have signed she is supposed to have 30-45 minutes homework a day. She has currently homework that is assigned for 2 weeks that she finishes in 15 minutes. She and her friends think it's too easy, I could not agree more. See attached sample of homework for 2 weeks... HOMEWORK IS IMPORTANT... old saying goes repetitio est mater studiorum
- My daughter has NO BOOKS for school... I google math and other subjects I should be teaching her and teach her that... there is NOT A SINGLE TEXT BOOK. Every year I pay school books and there is not a single text book. How will she study without books?
- oh yes learning to use IPad is a school subject? I mean WTF?!?
- one of my favourites Science what is that?
- Where did history go? We learn from our mistakes and past decisions, she learned nothing of history short of glorifying Australias biggest ever war failure and making sacrificial lambs heroes,... We have not learned, state in history for what it is not a myth. Don't make a big slaughter a glorious event because it was not, unnecessary death because of idiocy and laziness of superiors who made decisions no one in right mind would.
- Foreign Language what's that according to school. She is not taught single foreign language.
- Apparently according to school it is ok to go to lockdown mode because of siege near the school and them to call it incident and never admit it was siege (police said it was when I got turned away from picking my daughter up)
- Oh yes my favourite its ok to force kids to sit on muddy wet ground outside in 8C weather with wind and rain drizzle... let them get dirty and wet because their parents will scrub them up and take them to doctors when they get sick.
Oh Here is her homework that is supposed to take 2 weeks to finish with 30-40 minutes work every day... I mean WTF:
Multiplication and Division
Write down and practise your 3s and 7s counting patterns. What do you notice about the numbers in these patterns? (Does the last digit of each number form a recurring pattern?) Can we use these counting patterns to help us with any other counting patterns?
It’s my birthday and I have invited 5 friends to my party, so there are 6 people altogether. If my mum had baked 48 cookies, how many cookies would each person get?
What would happen if I needed to share the cookies with my 2 little sisters as well as my friends?
If I knew that 4x3=12, what are the other three facts that I must know in this fact family?
Can you work out what 4x30 is using the information you have already been provided? How did you work that out?
Commutativity is where we understand that 5x7 is the same as 7x5. Using this knowledge please answer the following equations and explain how you worked them out.
Reading and Writing
We have been learning about metaphors and similes and how they can help to make a piece of writing more interesting. Make a list of metaphors and similes that you know of or have found while reading.
We have just begun learning about persuasive texts. While you are not yet up to creating your own persuasive piece of writing, we have been talking about forming opinions and coming up with reasons to back up your opinions. Statements like, ‘Kids should be paid to come to school’ often divide people based on their opinions. For this task, you will need to form an opinion about the topic and provide at least 4 arguments to support your opinion.
Spelling words are written in your diaries every Monday morning. You need to practise your spelling words every night.
Compound words are words that are made when 2 smaller words are combined to make one word. For example ‘foot’ and ‘ball’ make the word football.
You will need to make a list of as many compound words that you can find. Don’t forget to list the two smaller words that have been put together to make the final compound word.